Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Uh-oh! No more Earmarks.

In the emerging truth before business as usual policies of our heavily religiously influenced government, what seemed to be a good thing actually appears to have the potential to do some great damage.

Half way through my term of studying political economic theory, I see the effects of incentives everywhere I look now. (Its amazing how things can quickly become visible when you are aware.) But last week the earmarks ended. Earmarks are fuel for personal incentives. Sometimes they are influenced by lobbyists, sometimes they are done by ideologies. What is amazing, is the application that self interest has on the greater good and positive movement ideologies. Can some economic losses can lead to long term stability?

When people go after their own needs it can provide something good, like in some earmarks. Granted we have to live within our means, but come on, an earmark to support women shelters can't be a bad thing, right? Perhaps we should have controlled them instead of dismantling them. But I suppose its too late and I have little to no power to do anything at this point. Looking at everything in government as a dichotomy can be dangerous, I know I can be guilty of it. I am seeing my own biases leaning me to believe the Tea Party only has two words "Right" and "Wrong."

No comments: